Teaching and making art are inseparable practices. I learned everything I know about teaching from outstanding painters who taught me the importance of passing on the tradition of making objects. At all levels, my classes are designed to provide students with an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of studio art practice through innovative play and conceptual inquiry.
--- Carrie Patterson
Patterson is currently Professor of Art in the Art & Art History Department at St. Mary's College of Maryland.
In 2012 Patterson led a drawing and painting study tour through Northern Italy.
The collaborative book above was created by the group containing examples of writing and artwork from the three week tour.
YELLOW DOOR ART STUDIOS
Yellow Door Art Studio is an art center founded by Patterson located in the Town Square of Leonardtown Maryland. A full range of studio art classes are offered and taught by St. Mary's College of Maryland students (most of whom are studying to be art teachers or artists), and local artists including Patterson.
- Associate Professor of Art, St. Mary’s College of Maryland, St. Mary’s City, MD (2009 - present)
- Assistant Professor of Art, St. Mary’s College of Maryland, St. Mary’s City, MD (2004 - 2009)
- Visiting Instructor, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA (2000 - 2004)
- Visiting Instructor, Cheyney State University of Pennsylvania, Cheyney, PA (1999 - 2000)
- Adjunct Instructor of Art, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA (1998 - 1999)
- Adjunct Instructor, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ (1998 - 1999)
- Adjunct Instructor, Burlington County Community College, Burlington, NJ (1998)
- Adjunct Instructor, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (1998)
- Teaching Assistant, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (1997)
- Introduction to Drawing
- Advanced Drawing
- Drawing and Painting from Life
- Italian Fieldscapes (study tour)
- Introduction to Painting
- Advanced Painting
- Introduction to Visual Thinking
- Art for Educators
- Color Theory
- Senior Thesis Mentor (SMPs)
100 CREATIVE DRAWING IDEAS
Compiled and edited by Anna Held Audette, 100 Creative Drawing Ideas is a collection of interesting and original ideas for drawing projects contributed by art instructors internationally. Patterson contributed the drawing project "The Virtual Forest."
BETTER LIVING THROUGH BEOWULF
Gifts that Come with Sitting in Church, a collaboration between artist Carrie Patterson and writer Jennifer Cognard Black.
WE ARE ST. MARY'S MURAL ARTS PROJECT
Inspired by community art programs such as the Mural Arts Program in Philadelphia and UrbanPromise in Camden, New Jersey, and further explored by classroom discussions, the "We Are St. Mary's" mural is a visual representation of the college community created by Patterson's Art for Educators and Community Activists class. Patterson says that community art provides a vehicle for understanding one another and our surroundings. “Through visual imagery people can express how they experience the world. Mural projects can create a dialogue for people to engage in critical thinking and thus interact with history and culture.”